Disclaimer: This is COMPLETELY my opinion 🙂
Have you been lifting lately?
Are you getting the gains you want?
There’s so much information out there, on how to lift to gain. What I know for sure is that there is a way to lift to get the results you want in the shortest time possible. I’m here to share with you the very lifts I do to grow my glutes, chest, and arms. I’ve used these lifts throughout the years, and it has worked for everyone I’ve shared it with:
Before we get into it, I’ll share what I DON’T do:
- Sets over 20 reps
- Isolation and super specific exercises (like the abductor machine)
- Rest periods of over 4 minutes (also known as chit chat – don’t do it!)
This post is NOT about what’s right or wrong. It’s about what I do and what I’ve found works really well for me. It’s what took me from skinny-boned Jones to “50 Cent” (at least that’s what they called me in college LOL). My clients and friends who have done these have gotten great results with them as well. Let’s get into it:
You will NEVER go wrong with Squats. The Squat is King. I grew my glutes big time with ass-to-grass barbell squats. However I injured my lower back, and in attempt to correct imbalances, I stuck to plenty of single-leg exercises, which I learned was powerful for training glutes and legs in general. Along with single leg work, I stuck to hack squats and something called Bulgarian split squats. Now, I squat, but with an overall widened stance, sort of like what you would see in a power lifting competition. A nice heavy few sets of 10-12 reps is a great start!
Ladies – Romanian Dead-Lift (RDL) is the lift of choice here. If you are anything like a lot of my female friends, you might want to grow your glutes without growing your quads as much. I get it. The RDL will work great for you.
Guys – Sumo Deadlift. This is my preferred dead lift over the conventional. Why? I have really long legs and long-ish arms. With that said, I’ve noticed that conventional dead lifts aren’t too friendly to my lower back (this makes me sound really old). With Sumos, I can blast my quads as well as my glutes while having the bar super close to my spine. My back now loves me for this.
SINGLE LEG WORK
I’ve learned the hard way the benefits of single leg work, or more so, the consequences of not including them in your routine. Incorporate single leg exercises. It will give each side the individual attention it needs, and plus, will translate to the squat and deadlift and take your power and strength to another level.
Favorites here are:
- Single Leg Glute Bridges
- Reverse Lunges: Try these especially with the Smith Machine
I keep it SIMPLE. Here are my go-to’s:
- Flat and Incline Bench Press Barbell and Dumbbell
- Machine Flys
Once again, I love keeping things simple. One thing to emphasize here is RANGE OF MOTION. No halfies – start with a fully extended arm, curl and squeeze at the top, then bring your arm down back to FULL EXTENSION.
- Standing EZ curls
- Seated DB Curls on Incline Bench
If you guys (and girls) keep things SIMPLE and consistent you’ll see some progress, even in your first few weeks.
Give these a go and leave a comment if you have any questions. Would love to talk about it!
Listen to our podcast episode
- Going With Your Gut Feeling with Danielle King – 033
- The Power of Consistency with Makiah Green – 032
- Almost Died In Dubai with Vince Ewudo – 031
- How to Reach The Goals You Set This Year with Kiola Raines – 030
- Rethink What’s Possible in Love and Life with Ms. Marisha – 029
- How to Start a Movement with Mario Jovan Shaw and Jason Terrell – 028
- Let Your Wounds Become Your Work – 027
- You Are The Sh*t with Monti Washington – 026
- To Heal You Need to Reveal with Vynce Eiffel and Jade Robinson – 025
- How This Couple Paid Off $162,000 in Debt with Elijah Bankole and Heron Abegaze – 024
- How to Find Discipline and Develop Your Vision with Funmilola Fagbamila – 023
- Finding Comfort In You with Chika Okoro – 022
- Loving Your Natural Self with Angela Styles – 021
- How to Be Resilient with Nurse Mo – 020
- Making the Move to Follow Your Passion with Cortez West – 019
- Unshackled and Being a Change Agent with Jeremy Vasquez – 018
- From Fat-Shamed to Plus Size Model with Jazzmine Carthon – 017
- Listening to your Heart and Following Your Purpose with Ana Marte – 016
- When You Have No Father Figure with Charles Opong – 015
- Couple Goals, Leadership, and Service with Jessica and Joseph Chicas – 014
- From Fit Nurse to ME Warrior with Ashanti Daniel – 013
- #12 – Broken Love and Following Your Dreams with Peace Amadi
- #11 – Fight For Your Fairytale with Stacy Ike
- #10 – Scared as F*ck: Reflections with Vincent and Charles Ewudo
- #9 – Self Love and Embracing Yourself with Terrence Terrell
- #8 – Your Calling & Your Healing with Stephanie Ike
- #7 – Cut the Excuses! with Roderic Grant
- #6 – Self Education is Greater Than Higher Education? with Miles Goodloe
- #5 – Finding Your Own Lane with Stephanie Castellanos
- #4 – Put Yourself First with Lawrence Liu
- #3 – Dress to Impress, But Why? with Lola Wusu
- #2 – Losing 70lbs the Healthy Way with Patra Archie
- #1 – Living in Nigeria with Vincent Ewudo