In this episode, Jazzmine discusses the importance of loving yourself and being true to who you are. For her, that meant overcoming industry standards as a model and finding success as a plus-sized woman, but she quickly realized that body positivity and confidence could take her far in her career. When we do what we love without a concern for how everyone else feels about us, we will find the people who are inspired by and see the beauty within our journey.
Jazzmine is a plus-sized model, television personality, recently selected on the cast of Season 16 of the TV series “Project Runway” (Lifetime, Bravo), and advocate for people being authentically themselves. She believes that no matter who you are, you should love and believe in your true self.
- Jazzmine’s biggest “failure” was losing weight, she was a size 8-10 and is now a size 14-16.
- She was trying to get down to a size 2 or 4 to pursue modeling, which was her lifelong dream, but she was giving up because of her weight.
- She realized that her body was not meant to be a size 2 and she didn’t have to fit into a cookie-cutter model standard, and she is now comfortable where she is at.
- It’s beautiful when you let go of what others expect of you and be who you truly are.
Finding Your Focus
- Jazzmine has always continued to love herself no matter what her size was.
- You don’t have to have too many expectations, even when you have big goals – if you don’t get something that you want, there will always be another opportunity.
- With social media, people see this “show” or fantasy life, but that’s not reality.
- Focus on your own journey and don’t get too caught up on what everyone else is doing.
Investing in Yourself
- People give you advice based on their own failures, but you have to live and learn for yourself.
- Miss J from America’s Next Top Model told Jazzmine honestly that there is nothing wrong with the her size and encouraged size diversity.
- Sometimes you need to hear that it’s okay to be you, but never forget that!
- If you want to do something, do your research and figure out your brand and how you fit into that career, then go for it.
- You have to invest in yourself to reach your goals – with money, but also with time and energy so you can present yourself as a professional.
The failure was trying to lose weight and trying to fit into that standard when instead, I should have just been trying to be myself, and in being myself is where I found my success.
I don’t really believe in calling myself broken.
Whatever it is that you want to do, do your research and find out the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Whenever I have a new client, I Google their brand and go on their website to see what type of modeling they want, and I give them that and something different, so that they keep using me and they see that I’m not replaceable.
Connect With Jazzmine On
Thanks For Listening!
Leave your comment below.
Ask a question by sending on our contact page.
To help out the show:
Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us.