In this episode, Monique Doughty a.k.a. “Nurse Mo” shares her tips for self-love, living life to the fullest, earning what you’re worth, and so much more.
Monique truly defines the word ‘Resilient’: able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions. Her life was far from easy, and she’s failed, but her persistence and determination kept her from giving up.
From growing up in a bad neighborhood, to working for $2 per hour plus tips with a very expensive degree, Monique never let obstacles stand in her way. Now, she is paying it forward and helping young women to live their dream life, both professionally and mentally.
Monique is a Critical Care Traveling Registered Nurse. She grew up in South Philadelphia and quickly realized that she didn’t like what was going on around her. She wanted to make a better life for herself and going back was not an option. She attended Hampton University in 2006, and since has been living a nomad lifestyle and traveling the world as a nurse and influencer to young women through her booming brand, The Resilient Nurse.
Living For You
- Women are always waiting – for the perfect relationship, for friends to get on board with what they’re doing, etc.
- Monique lives for experiences in life – she has traveled to several countries solo, just because she just wanted to go.
- If you spend your life waiting for other people to join you, you may be waiting forever and missing out on a lot of opportunities.
- Anything could happen to you anywhere, so you can’t put your life on hold because your afraid of what could happen.
- Monique started her brand in 2014 when she began travel nursing, she had a small following online and built it over 4 years into a larger community.
- There were no resources for her to learn what it may be like for her as a young woman of color – how to be a travel nurse, what to expect, and more.
- She speaks to young, black girls who people are telling that you can’t do it.
- She wanted to change the face of what healthcare looked like, and she speaks to young, black women who people are telling that they can’t do it.
- She blogs about her experiences, what she does on her off days, self care, and more to help people to understand what it’s like to be in this career.
Increasing Your Worth
- All worth is not monetary, and you can’t ask for something that you haven’t worked for yet.
- Monique worked for free to gain exposure and build her brand.
- She grew her worth mentally – she believes in what she is creating – her brand is hers and no one can take that away from her.
- Statistical worth is another aspect – she grew her social media following 40K in just a few months.
- You have to figure out what people what to hear from you to build organic followers.
- Collaboration is very important – partner with other brands that make sense within your field to help build credibility.
- The final aspect is knowing how to negotiate.
- Know what you can provide, then ask for what you believe that is worth, and don’t back down – stand confidently in your worth.
Work hard now and get comfortable getting uncomfortable. Right now, I’m comfortable, and I don’t like it, so I’m ready to shake things up and do something new. ([7:56])
When I find something that brings me a bit of fear, I feel like it’s my higher power talking to me and telling me to take that challenge. ([12:02])
My concept was always that the modern woman, she can be successful, she can be beautiful, enlightened spiritually, sexually … anything. She can be whatever the fuck she wants to be. ([28:51])
I know the more successful people become, the less transparent they like to be. I would like to go the opposite route and become more and more transparent, and be honest about my failures. ([26:48])
As women, we have to learn that collaboration is way more powerful that competition. ([44:55])
Connect With Monique On
Thanks For Listening!
Leave your comment below.
Ask a question by sending on our contact page.
To help out the show:
Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us.