In this episode, Valentine shares his speech at the 2018 LA Nurse Expo and discusses why he never wanted to depend on a single income, employer, job, or a boss to determine how he lives his life.
Everybody should be an entrepreneur of some sort, but that doesn’t mean that you have to start a business. Be involved in something that is bigger than you. From your pain comes your purpose, let your wounds be your work.
Scroll to the bottom for the Video!
- Val went to Cal State and received a bachelor’s degree in nursing.
- After graduating, he got his dream job working at a top hospital in the ICU.
- 6 months in, he was fired from that job. He was called into a back office and told that he was a really good nurse, has great integrity, and is smart, but wasn’t a good fit for this unit.
- This experience taught him that jobs are not safe, and he never wanted to be in that position again.
- It’s risky to depend on a single income, a job, and a boss to determine how you live your life.
Taking Charge of Your Life
- Val started looking into business – when you run your own business it can not be taken away from you.
- You are responsible for your own success.
- While working 50 hours a week nursing, Val still built his business with no excuses.
- It took a year and half to grow the business to reach his first million.
- Everyone has a purpose, inside and outside of nursing.
- Val owned a gym for 3 years and felt like he was living someone else’s narrative.
- He closed down the gym and took a huge risk by taking a pay cut.
- He was so willing to make it work that he was driving for Uber and doing whatever it took.
Following Your Purpose
- People that don’t have zest in their life, but it doesn’t have to be that way.
- People’s lives just become a blur – they get up, work, go home, and do it all again over and over.
- Val doesn’t want that. He wants to be the type of nurse that goes into a night shift because he wants to, not because he’s got to make money.
- When you’re relying on one avenue for your income, it leads to burnout because you don’t have anything else.
- Pursue your own purpose. You’ll be a better person because of it.
Thanks For Listening!
Leave your comment below.
Ask a question by sending on our contact page.
To help out the show:
Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us.