Terrence Terrell, raised in Mississippi, displayed an affinity for entertainment at a young age. Throughout his teenage years, he was bullied, but coped by turning the negativity into humor. As an adult, Terrell moved out of Mississippi to Los Angeles, California, to pursue a dream of acting and writing.
Terrell has penned his first children’s book which he holds dear to his heart. Based on his childhood, Blacky is an uplifting story about a young boy’s journey to self-confidence. Blacky will encourage readers to embrace the things that make them different. He actually now has a NEW book, titled “The Shes”, making him the author of two children’s books specifically directed towards self-love and the empowerment of Black boys and girls. Find out more about his books here.
Aside from releasing his upcoming new children’s book, Terrell is also very busy in the land of film and television. He just wrapped playing lead in the new Ariana Grande featuring Future video for “Everyday,” and can also be seen recurring on Criminal Minds Season 12 (CBS) opposite Aisha Tyler.
- His space is created to show his life and light. Sage to create a space of healing, pictures of who he is and where he came from, and bringing light into every aspect of his life and space.
- People don’t know true love because they don’t have self love. We are really good at self hate, but we need to bring light to the world by having self love.
- You need to struggle and feel like you are going to die to truly live. (1:10)
- His Motto: A little bit of faith, a little bit of focus, and you’ll have the freedom to do what you want in this life. (1:33)
- Love yourself first – Master the art of self love, never settle for less, and give yourself the best.
On work or is it work when it is a passion
- Creating art first – through acting, a clothing line, and as a writer.
- You have to take baby steps to get to where you want. Building his acting career it takes doing background work, getting dirty, and just being on the set. Working the muscle and create your own!
- Love is behind everything. Show beautiful love to the world daily just as the Care Bears did. Show everyone we care, we care, we care.
On being Blacky
- I was the dark awkward one growing up, and his grandmother was light and he wondered who was going to love him now. After he moved he saw all the different cultures and colors. He became the funny guy, because I didn’t want to fight.
- In 5th grade, Thomas and Ricardo became his bodyguards. I paid them to protect me on Mondays. He didn’t want to be bullied. 5 dollars and snickers was worth the protection.
- This book was created for all the little boys like him – Embracing yourself.
“As little boys we were told to be dirty put on the ugly shoes. We weren’t supposed to cry or show emotion, but my Grandma entirely different. She said if you need to cry then cry. She told me you need to understand who you are and you’re very different because you have a light and people are going to reach at you. You need to be by yourself and energize yourself.” (12:00)
Anytime you’re hating on someone, that’s self-hate trying to get out. (13:05)
My mom went to community college and she told me I couldn’t come to LA until I finished my Master’s! (20:20)
That’s why I know I’m doing so well after my mom’s death is because I’ve been to a dark place and I know how to create light from that . . . I was on set ordering her casket. Literally!(23:08)
I’m excited about life because I know that no matter what, I got me because I have that self-love
Connect With Terrence On
Thanks For Listening!
Leave your comment below.
Ask a question by sending on our contact page.
To help out the show:
Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us.